Saturday, August 4, 2012

Trains, Bears, and Mosquitoes

Dave and I arrived in Vancouver bright eyed and bushy tailed, ready for an adventure. It started with the rental car: they gave us a mini coupe. Although we thought it would be cool, after a quick look at our gear and the prospect of picking up more, plus Jorge, we realized an upgrade would be needed. We stopped first in a local Super Canadian, their version of a Walmart. Although there are Walmarts up here too, we thought we would give the Canadian version a try. We loaded up with camping supplies and headed to the North American Alps. As we grew closer to Pemberton, the views were apparent. This is big air country. We both exclaimed, “This is gorgeous!”

Dave talked to Jorge and got some ‘Venezuelan’ directions and somehow we headed toward launch instead of the LZ meeting place. Ironically the road to launch is called Pemberton Farm Road E and the road to the LZ three miles away is called Pemberton Farm Road. I thought Hawaii roads were tough. We were talking and came to a Rail Road Crossing. I told Dave, “I think these trains are still active we better look”. He did the quick stop and look, crossed and continued on up the road. Up the road it was and we realized this was not the right way, so a U-turn was performed. We again were talking; imagine that me talking, as we approached the same rail road track. Suddenly, we were silenced by three loud blasts. I looked at Dave, he had the face of Wile E. Coyote as he slammed on the breaks and skidded toward the tracks. A string of cars being pulled by four locomotives polished our bumper. “Holly Shit that was close!” I cried as the engineer gave us a wave. Dave’s response, “I should have went for it, now we got wait 20 minutes for this thing to pass.”

 We finally met up at the LZ with Jorge, where we were asked if we wanted to go to launch and get a flight. After a quick scramble and rearrangement of the luggage we were off to launch with Fred at the helm. I though Dave’s driving was crazy. Fred zoomed up the hill bottoming out the SUV several times and jostling my over filled bladder. When I got to the top I jumped out to relieve myself and readjust my kidneys. Poor Fred, overheated his vehicle and was loosing fluid. I guess I should have saved my bladder fluid to fill his radiator cause donations from our water bottles was all that was on launch.

Now for the flying, Part I of many I hope. The launch is spectacular and typical to European launches with a grass lay out wide enough for 3 to 4 wings. Today’s thermals were consistent and perfect everything was just right, I got nervous and headed for the out house. Jorge was the first to launch to show us the way. We watched for a bit, then Dave laid out and took off. I was next there were three of us looking at each other and the pilots to my left and to my right said in unisone, “You go first.” I did and had an awesome controlled launch (thanks sensei). Kevin was close at my heals as we turned right toward a house thermal. I got lucky as Ike would say and caught a couple of well timed bullets to get on the top of the stack. Finally up high enough to get some turns and relax, I looked around. This place is awesome, the mountains are spectacular. You will have to take my word for it for now, I left my camera in the trunk.

I stayed local but did tempt fate by trying to meander over to another ridge where I spied 2 orange and purple IP6 wings. I hope to be following those colors more often. I did not make it over to them so I turned back to bench up and play with this spectacular boyant air. Growing tired from my trip I made it over the LZ to watch Dave zoom in. I came in with a nice controlled, fast, approach and stuck a nice landing. Dave was congratulating me on my high flight as a pilot in an Aspen 4 came winging it over to land, it was a typical Jorge landing. What a great start and the forecast is nothing but beautiful big air for at least the next 4-5 days. I will be needing lots of mountain money.

On our drive to Reaper's Cabin we had to lock up the brakes for an oversized Kui: a large black bear meandered across the road. It was a long scenic drive and we didn't see a house, cabin or even a tent for miles. Finally, we arrived at Reaper's subdivision. I looked left up a driveway, "Stop! That's Harvey." We pulled in, had a couple of beers and some dinner, watching the sun set around 9 pm or so. Then some long needed sleep.

 Today's another day and I will try to come to this coffee shop, Black Bird Bakery, where the staff, coffee and baked goods are fantastic.

 It's Time to Fly Getting my Gear and Going......eh!

1 comment:

  1. Thanks for the report Mr. Treasurer! What an awesome first day. Can't wait to hear more about it and see some more pictures! Let me know if you need anything else on this blog, like links, a chat box, photos from one of your flickr streams, or whatever.

    ReplyDelete