Sunday, August 12, 2012

Vindication, Hook Set, I am all In

Reluctantly I signed up for a comp. I was told by by my fellow airmen that it would improve my flying and I would learn something from the experience. Boy did that seem like a reach but I bit and signed up.

As you may have read from the other logs my luck was just not kicking in and the mentoring other than Mr. Cortella was very minimal unless you pulled the pod of an ace that was willing to share some info. I got mixed info on the use of my good old garmin which still appears to be the industry standard even if its a back up.

Task 5, the last one, my last chance to get up and go to at least one way point. I was in line and again dressed for battle. I looked over the fence and spotted CanadianMark, he was not in uniform. I said,"You not flying?" He replied "Not yet" and looked to the sky. Several wind techs and even more pilots had already launched. I poked my head out to get a look at the sky up and behind launch. There were only 3 or 4 gliders getting up. I immediately said thanks to Mark and stripped down, it's hot on launch.

After 20 minutes with Larry readying my wing I left the hill for my final chance at task. The right side was not going off for me again but I hung in there and scratched my butt off. Finally I was above the crap and getting decent thermals, GPS was working and I had one eager ball.

The start cylinder was ready to enter and exit so I headed off using the little circle to get the tangent that would lead me toward the 'Owl Peak' first point. I was high on my way into it but not enough. I dug in and finally I was turning with some of the big dogs. WayPoint 1, I was phsyched.

I watched as a few headed across. Knowing my glide was not as good I continued to turn. Damn this is rowdy and a hell of a work out. Time came for the 2nd ball to start kicking in. It never came and the solo nut screamed lets go!

I left my highest elevation ever looking deep into the valley where the big dogs have been playing all week. I wish I could have got my camera out. The multitude of glacier covered peaks were breath taking. Some day I would like to get to those bad boys but that will have to wait for the third ball.

Getting closer to Miller Peak, point 2, I noticed the wind direction and the ridge that was approaching. I remembered Jorge's famous words, "Always go up the finger on the sunny side". Another glider was trying to do the same thing and others started to come into focus. Veering away from the cylinder did not seem right but sometimes you got to Zig in order to Zag. Cresting the ridge set my vario into strong beeps. Again I reached a point in which to turn. I was turning with one of the big dogs who later told me I was doing a great job. I had been worried that I was screwing him up.

We turned together for a bit and then he peeled up further and I needed a few more turns. I should have followed him, he had disappeared. I could not see him anywhere. During our conversation later he caught an express to the heavens, I should have looked up, way up.

I was alone in a strange place, I had tagged #2 and was looking across a huge valley to the other side. It was recommended to go back to Owl to bench up and then cross the valley again but furhter in to catch #3. I left Miller excpecting some rotor from the shady side.

I arrived at the base of Owl. I have been here before and started scratching up. It was rocking and then it was dead. I was getting up but I felt beat up, this is hard w**k. I tried a few more passes then headed for a spot Dave had told me about. That did not work. I was furhter from the goal LZ now with only 2 waypoints. OH, don't get me wrong I was high as a kite just to get 1 but I got 2.

With the thought of getting lower and the ominous river below I set out to find a barren field. I was getting a few beeps and then set Bruce up as my next waypoint. According to the Flymaster i had plenty of glide to make it so I left the scrags and boulders of the ridge to the hay field LZ.

I was greeted at the LZ again by the smiling face of Larry but Dave was there too. They had been cheering me on as I passed over head. Needless to say I was pretty phsyched to have gotten where I did.

I am not sure why people even ask, "Don't you get bored?" I used to say "Hell, no!". But now I just say ya you probably would not like it.

I got some points ya. The party got moved to Mike's house and the awards were hadned out at midnight. Denise Cortel is the Canadian Champ and I thanked him again for all the tips, just wished I had gotten them earlier.

Gotta go. Signing off from our favorite breakfast joint, Black Bird Bakery.

It's Time to Fly, no points today, Getting my Gear and Going High!

1 comment:

  1. Yay Thom! That sounds like an awesome thermal adventure. When you get home you can come with me to the golf course and find that second ball! They have lots of them there!

    ReplyDelete